Winter is Coming: Lighten Up

With the beginning of autumn/winter comes a shift towards the dark side. Swathes of black and grey hit the shop floors and we're expected to adapt our wardrobes accordingly. But the thought of being reduced to the same colour palette as a Puritan for 6 months out of twelve is highly unappealing. I like my winter wardrobe to be less Severus Snape, more Mindy Lahiri, so I've hunted down the cream of the crop of bright accessories for a more colourful outlook on the season.

Earrings




Pat Butcher knew the score. I am a big advocate of the door knocker earring; the bigger the better. A good pair of earrings is always the finishing touch to my outfit and the search for new additions to my collection is never ending. Tatty Devine's AW15 collection features a selection of 80s inspired pieces which speak to my inner Fresh Prince. Doodad and Fandango, meanwhile, is a treasure trove of plastic fantastic pop art.

80s Graphic & Atomic Print Earrings: Tatty Devine, Be Mine Lichtenstein & Baby Teeth Earrings: Doodad and Fandango


Necklaces



A chunky necklace with a turtle neck or a thick jersey jumper is one of my favourite looks for winter. It's fuss free but sidesteps boring territory thanks to a quick injection of colour and texture. These three designers all take a playful, graphic approach to their work yet manage to translate that through their own inimitable styles. Wearing such bold accessories allows you to keep your outfit fairly simple as they become the focus of your look.

Twilight Palm Necklace: I Love Crafty, Orange Palm Tree Necklace: Lou Taylor, Leather Statement Necklace: Boo and Boo Factory


Scarves


Thanks to my beautiful Luna Scarf by Bella Singleton, which I Instagrammed last week, I'm back into scarves in a big way. I used to wear scarves and neck ties all the time then, for some reason, they all found their way out of my personal wardrobe and into my styling kit. But my love has been rekindled, so I'll be wearing light silk scarves tied in flouncy bows whilst it's still fairly mild, and thick knits, cosy shawls, and faux furs when the icy cold sets in.

Cross Stitched Shawl: Crafty Cloth, Luna Silk Scarf: Bella Singleton, Moss Faux Fur Scarf: Shrimps, Violetta Silk Scarf: SO KLARA


Bags



I love bags. I've got fluffy bags, woven bags, neoprene bags, a bag shaped like a turtle, clutches, rucksacks, shoppers, shoulder bags... The right bag ties a look together, just as the wrong bag can totally break a look. I have a couple of sensible options for specific occasions but generally I like to go as bold as possible. Plus, the more colours that feature in the bag, the more things it will match in your wardrobe. 

Aurora Faux Fur Monster Bag: Joanna Pybus, Irma Print Backpack: Monki, Leather Clutch Bag: Boo and Boo Factory, Heart Clutch: Hattie Stewart x Poppy Lissiman