Abstraction

I'm quietly obsessed with abstract shape and prints. It's been a case of actively searching them out and a Baader-Meinhof -esque situation where I've been happening to see them everywhere I look, drinking them in, appreciating every line and shape. 

Joe Cruz has been a favourite of mine for a few years; his bold, energetic style makes for striking work. Whereas Joe tends to work into photographic images, Emily Tilzey takes away from them, cutting and chopping to create beautiful, organic, abstract works. A more recent discovery is American artist Dorothy Hafner's 'Flash' range for Rosenthal Studio Line, an innovative tableware line which was released in 1984. Hafner looked beyond function to design angular pieces with curves, tilts and corners, all of which complement the bright, almost comic-like prints which grace the ceramic.

Joe Cruz

Emily Tilzey

Dorothy Hafner 'Flash' range for Rosenthal Studio Line

So, with all this abstract appreciation going on, it was bound to find its way into my wardrobe. First up, the vintage skirt, which is a dream. The print couldn't have been any more perfect for me if I'd designed it myself. There are dots, splodges, squiggles, zig zags, guitars, ladies with rainbow tresses, everything you could possibly want! Also, the tie waist means it's super versatile. Once I've put some sneaky popper fastenings down the split (I'm cheating with safety pins here) it can be worn closed as a skirt, or more open to layer over trousers. Unfortunately it's too big. Again, I'm cheating here as it's clipped at the back, but I am loathe to put a seam down it and break up the flow of the print. However, I suppose I can sacrifice 20cm of fabric for something that I am undoubtedly going to wear all the time.

The second abstract addition to my life is the neoprene clutch from Jen Cheema. I styled and produced Jen's SS14 lookbook and she was one of the easiest clients to read I've ever had, simply because we seem to have exactly the same taste in everything. 

Jen initially posted a teaser image of her new range of clutch bags on her Instagram, so when she told me they were up in her shop, I had to order one with immediate effect! 'The bag is part of a collection that has been inspired by crystals, puffy stickers and our favourite 90s girl bands. Jen's original 'Hyper Rainbow' design is digitally printed onto 3.5mm thick neoprene, cut out by hand and backed with glitter fabric'. It also features a contrasting lime green back and silky ocean blue lining. 

Since graduating in 2013, Jen has launched a jewellery and accessories line which builds upon her graduate collection, and has been featured by the likes of Ballad Of, HUNGER TV, and ASOS Magazine. She has also been working hard in order to facilitate heading back to London to undertake her masters and I can't wait to see how her style and brand develops. I'm determined that one day I'll be able to dress head to toe in Jen Cheema!

T-shirt (customised) and skirt: COW Vintage, Clutch: Jen Cheema,
Sandals: Nike